Wednesday 23 January 2013

Aging, it sucks, but a fact of life- whatevs :)

1972- That's me in white (looking like a toilet roll cover).
1992- 20 yrs old, but you can see why *Wednesday Addams* fitted me perfectly, I was an art student and not particularly friends with a hair brush :) .
2012- Aged 40 complete with a double chin & mascara/brow powder & lip balm. Up close and probably way too personal for you.
2012 with light diffusing base & a subtle use of colour & contouring to hide the double chin. Skin is much more even toned than the previous picture and more flaw-free and *poreless*. This is Pixi Illuminate Tint & Conceal Base.


After working with make up for 19 years I like to think that I know *skin* and you will age *fact*!
I am 40 and looking back at my 20 year old self, yes I do look like I could be a Mother to that person but 20 years have passed and it is inevitable that will happen.

At 20, I suppose I was very much a *type* and because I naturally had quite a strong look I just accepted it. Make up was never really about *transforming myself* it was always about other people and it still very much is for me.

20 years later, I have aged (of course), I lighten my hair a little (Dorian from Birds of a feather) is not where I want to be at all. I am fastidious in the way that I look after my skin, I use sunscreen every day and I would personally not contemplate any form of *extra help*  but if you do consider it that is your personal choice, but it just is not for me.

I have always had a rounder face and have a double chin (not the end of the world and relatively easy to conceal).

Make up does not have to be a mask and I know if you are really strapped for time it can be the last thing on your mind, but here are my personal top tips for anyone that feels that they need a *fresher look*:

Skincare- I write about skin care from time to time, I use cleansing milk/cleansing oils/cleansing balms, I don't have facials enough but at home I do: double cleanse, exfoliate, use masks clay/moisturising, I always use a toner, take my make up off every night, layer with serums/oils before moisturiser- my skin is hyper sensitive so it restricts me massively about what I can use and anything I recommend I honestly use and did not have any adverse reaction to. If you want the best skincare advice in the business go to: http://www.carolinehirons.com/  she is incredible for being literally the skincare guru.

Make up-  

  • Having a glow to the skin is not a bad thing, healthy skin is not 100% matte and therefore will reflect the light.
  • Use powder sparingly, if you do use it, restrict it to the T-zone and blend well.
  • Don't be afraid of blusher, a great blusher enlivens the complexion =, if you are a little hesitant start with a little gel or creme blusher on the *apples* of the cheeks.
  • Use the lightest textured base/sheerest base that you are comfortable with & use concealer sparingly over the top.
  • Don't be afraid to really bring out a feature whether it is a Strong lip or focusing on the eye, don't restrict yourself to beige.
  • Fill in sparse brows, over zealously plucked eyebrows can be quite unforgiving. Choose a shade that is matching or 1 shade lighter than your brows.
  • If you can, curl your lashes this really opens up the eyes and makes you look bright eyed and bushy tailed (Shu Uemura's curlers) rock!
  • If you like matte lip colours make sure that you have a brilliant lip balm to keep lips moist.
  • Invest in a set of good brushes, it is like you are providing yourself with the best *tools*
  • Keep said brushes clean, brush cleaner is a must (look for 1 with Isopropyl alchohol) my all time favourite is the Shu Uemura brush cleaner, but I still wash with a shampoo (my favourite is Paul Mitchell Tea Tree- lasts forever- keeps brushes in tip top condition)
  • I am a huge advocate of primers, they can really make your base last longer and *prep* the skin.
  • If you do feel that your skin gets shiny use blotting papers rather than *topping up the powder*
  • If you have dark circles (I do) neutralize with a peach/apricot corrector and then apply a little skin toned concealer (or your base) over the top.
  • If you do want to sharpen the jawline conceal a double chin a little, use a sheer mid bronzer gently brushed along the jawline and blend down into the neck. Just add a little more bronzer to the *under chin* area and blend out.

I do take vitamins with added iron (anemic) and being a strict vegetarian does not help. I take Omega 3,6 & 9 (vegan) with flaxseed, evening primrose oil, wheatgerm oil etc and I swear by it.